Español | Deutsche | Français | Italiano | Português

Thursday, March 24, 2005

 

Poetry Quotes and Thoughts

"A poem begins with a lump in the throat". ~Robert Frost Often, my poems do begin with a "lump in the throat", a feeling that something is amiss and needs to be explored. At times a simple statement by someone begs to be written about in a poem. At other times. dark, uncomprehensible fragmented thoughts rattling about in my subconcious scream to surface for air. today, I'm thinking about poetry and what it means. Here is a page of several poetry quotes of famous writers and poets, who define poetry from their particular perspectives. I do not have my own definition of poetry, but I suspect that my feelings about it are a composite of several slanted perspectives. Particularly, I am attracted to Archibald McCleish's statement that a "poem should not mean, but be". I cannot always explain the meaning of my poems, but, like a song, I can always feel them.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?